Thursday, July 9, 2015

Fandom 4 LLS: New Story!



Coming soon... MARS ONE!

The Fandom 4 LLS fundraiser is back for the fifth year, and I'm hoping we can make this the best year ever. This is a cause near-and-dear to my heart, and I've been so proud to participate in this fundraiser in years past.

“You knew it was a one-way ticket.” That’s what she told herself again and again as she stared out the tiny portal at the rust-brown desert that stretched as far as her eye could see. Bella believes she's the final survivor of the Mars One mission, but there's a sound of footsteps in the corridor...

“Bella, it’s me, it’s Edward.”
He was lying. It was lying.
“Edward is dead. I buried him.”
“Bella, please. I’m not dead. I don’t know what happened, or why you think I am. But I’m not. I’m here. I’m alive. Open the door. You can check my pulse.”
“You’re dead!” Bella’s foot lashed out and stomped against the door with a loud bang.
“Dead!”
She heard Edward – no, the thing in the hallway give a sigh. Pain sliced through her, because it was his sigh, something she had heard a thousand times over the last decade as they trained beside one another, lived in the artic habitat, and traveled through space to land on this hostile planet.
“I saw you,” she whispered. “You were choking. You gasped—” She couldn’t finish because she remembered the helpless agony she’d felt, how his body jerked beneath her hands as he fought, the dots of sweat mixing with the blood that spattered his skin as he coughed. “You died. I was there. I don’t know if you’re a ghost, or a demon, or an alien wearing his skin, but you’re not Edward. Or maybe my mind has broken under the strain and I’m imagining this whole thing, but YOU ARE NOT EDWARD!” she screamed the last four words with every ounce of her strength, and her ears rang in the piercing silence that followed. He was quiet for so long, she started to hope the delusion had passed and she’d open the door to find the habitat empty.
“Bella,” he said, shattering that hope.
“No.”
“Bella, please,” she heard a soft thump against the door, like the side of a fist being dropped against it in frustration. “I’m begging you, just listen to me.”
Dear God, it sounded so much like him, and the pleading sound of his voice was enough to cause physical pain. She curled upon the bed as though to protect her aching heart. She pressed one ear against the bed and one hand over the other, but she could still hear him. It.

The only way you can get a copy of MARS ONE is by donating to the Fandom 4 LLS fundraiser. This story will not be posted on fanfiction.net. Please consider donating to this wonderful charity and help fight leukemia and lymphoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment