Friday, July 27, 2012

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Snow White on Twitter sent me a question, asking what my favorite book is. I had to tell her that I have so many favorites, it's almost impossible to choose. So, I thought I'd do a blog post about it and arrange some of my favorites by genre.



Historical Fiction

Margaret George is probably my favorite historical fiction author. I have read her magnificent Autobiography of Henry VIII at least a dozen times. She's not always 100% accurate with the historical aspects, but her work is well-researched and well-written. Other favorites include Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha, Pauline Gedge's Child of the Morning (about Pharaoh Hatsheput), and Colleen McCollough, who wrote a wonderful series about ancient Rome.And who doesn't love the Outlander series?

Sci-fi/Dystopian

Probably my favorite sci-fi/dystopain novel is Children of Men by  P.D. James. I also love Fahrenheit 451, Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower, Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake and The Handmaid's Tale, and Stephen King's The Stand. The Hitchiker's Guide is probably a given.

General Fiction

I have a passionate love for Harry Potter (though I've never been temper to write an HP fic. Strange, huh?) The His Dark Materials series was also good. Angela's Ashes was an amazing read.

Romance

Catherine Anderson is a favorite because her romances are usually very sweet. I liked the Black Dagger Brotherhood books up until book five. Larissa Ione's Demonica series was pretty cool, because she developed entire races of beings and their cultures. And I liked Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers series for the same reason.

Graphic Novels

Betcha weren't expecting this category, eh? I adore V for Vendetta, The Watchmen, From Hell, Maus, and The Walking Dead. (Terribly disappointed in the TV show.)


2 comments:

  1. Great to see what your favs are! I'm not into Sci-Fi too much, but I just might read your recs. Have you ever read "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson? It's a Seattle/WA State author (local for me), and I loved both the book and the movie equally, which says a lot by my standards. I enjoy anything by him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read that one, but I've heard it's beautiful.

      Delete